the people along the sand all turn and look one way;
they turn their back on the land, they look at the sea all day.

as long as it takes to pass a ship keeps raising its hull;
the wetter ground like glass reflects a standing gull.

the land may vary more, but wherever the truth may be -
the water comes ashore and people look at the sea.

they cannot look out far, they cannot see in deep -
but when was that ever a bar for any watch they keep.







Friday, July 31, 2009

I Had a Dream

I had a dream last night,
Lost in the light of the day,
Until this moment came when
I saw it in another place.
The roaring waves had killed a man,
The people on the beach
Stared with horror-stricken faces
As the newsman did his job.
Last night, I saw those waves,
With my family in a house,
Water rising, water moving,
Rising fear with rising water.
I looked for a way, a door, out,
Anything to flee the water coming.
There was no easy exit,
I knew we had to accept
An end by rising water,
Yet never cease to search
For the door of our escape.
I’m not convinced of prophecy,
But dreams like this unsettle me.
They have within them
Something of a warning
And a hint of truths well hidden.
What is coming, what endangers
My family as we wait?
The waves have always roared,
And families have always died.
And something deep inside
Has always sought a door of leaving.
The people on the west coast,
Who saw the man get killed
By the giant, monster waves,
looked at me and I could see
The same dark, gnawing questions
Burning from their eyes and written on their faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment